Give this recipe a try for a healthy twist on a traditional holiday favorite from our very own Three Farmers in-house dietitian Heather Deck PDt(c).
1 Cup Three Farmers Lightly Salted Roasted Chickpeas
1 Cup Three Farmers Lightly Salted Crunchy Little Lentils
10 – 12 Cups Popped Popcorn
1 Cup Butter or Margarine
1 ½ Cups Brown Sugar
½ Cup Corn Syrup
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Crème of Tartar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, mix the popcorn, Three Farmers Roasted Chickpeas and Crunchy Little Lentils.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and corn syrup. While stirring continuously, bring the mixture to a boil.
- Keep the mixture at a rolling boil for 5 minutes or if you have a candy thermometer, until the mixture reaches 249-253 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and immediately add baking soda and crème of tartar while stirring.
- Stir in the vanilla extract then pour the mixture over the popcorn and Three Farmers Roasted Chickpeas and Crunchy Little Lentils.
- Stir the caramel and popcorn mixture quickly to ensure it distributes evenly.
- Pour the caramel popcorn mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and allow it to cool.