This quiche served as Elysia's audition for her appearance on The Marilyn Denis Show's Search for the Next Marilyn Cooking Expert. Out of over 10,000 applicants, Elysia made the cut! We hope this quiche makes you feel just as lucky.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 lb chilled butter
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Ice water
- 1/4 cup camelina oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Dash of pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 bag of spinach
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Cube the butter and put in a food processor with flour and salt. Pulse until the butter is chopped to pea-sized pieces and then pour out into a large bowl.
- Add lemon and juice and ice water, 1 cup at a time, while mixing with hands, until dough comes together. Be sure to not add to much water; the dough should not be sticky. Do not overwork it, as you want your crust flaky. Once combined, put in the refrigerator to rest for some time (an hour or more).
- Roll into a 9” pie pan and then stick it in the freezer. Freezing the pie crust before putting the filling in will assist in even doneness and prevent the crust from getting soggy.
- Heat Camelina oil in a sauce pan and caramelize the onions. Then, add the spinach to wilt. Cool these ingredients.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and seasonings together in a bowl until well combined, then stir in cheese.
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Put the cooked spinach and onions into the empty pie shell and pour the egg mixture on top.
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for 15 min, then drop the temperature to 325F for the remainder of the cooking.
-Cook until the crust is golden brown on the bottom and the egg is cooked thoroughly through, about 45 minutes.